Published November 26, 2015
family , music , sailing
Tags: Bob's Burgers, family, gravy boat, happy thanksgiving, music, sailors in your mouth, thanksgiving, the national, today's tunes
hope you have a blessed day of Thanksgiving with delicious foods and fellowship with friends and family.
enjoy this, um…. strange song, performed by The National, for the TV show “Bob’s Burgers.
What’s that sound
It’s the gravy boat comin’ around
It’s not a Navy boat, it’s the gravy boat
Filled with bravery, savory sailor folk stuff
And sailors disembark
Fill our plates
Fill our hearts
Fill our hearts
a beautiful sailing painting by Winslow Homer (1876)
a few days ago, a friend of the blog sent me a few pictures of a mystery boat that they own, but are not exactly sure what the boat actually is… here are a few details:
- the reader described it as a scow, similar to a Butterfly
- approximately 12-feet long, wood construction
- aluminum mast and spars for a lateen rig
- a (ridiculously!) large rudder and centerboard, also built of aluminum
- looks like it has some mast stays, and the mast would sit on a base fixture (the mast doesn’t go through the deck into a mast step)
- it seems like the mast stays would really limit how you can adjust the rigging points for the lateen sail
I searched the “CloneFish” archives at the Yahoo Sunfish Sailor Group to see if it was listed there – but didn’t see anything quite like this.
so what say you? any of my blog readers know what this mystery boat could be? see a few pictures below:
Published October 15, 2015
Tags: ACWS, america's cup, blog, blogging, chicago, great lakes, lake michigan, Navy Pier, sailing, sailing racing, sailing video
the America’s Cup World Series is coming to the Great Lakes: June 10-12, 2016 at Navy Pier in Chicago.
might just have to schedule a trip to see my brother in Chicago for a couple days…
no one is there to hum annoying tunes.
a beautiful painting by Claude Monet.
seascape, night effect (1866)