the Greater Detroit Sunfish Club (GDSC) has released their 2017 Sunfish race schedule (you can find it with additional information posted at their Yahoo Group). you can also check them out on their Facebook page or website.
- May 7th – Maceday Lake (public launch)
- May 21st – DOUBLE DELIGHT! at Watkins Lake
- June 3rd & 4th – Gull Lake Sunfish Open Regatta (details & NOR TBD)
- June 11th – Watkins Lake
- June 24th & 25th – Tawas Bay State Park & Tawas Bay Yacht Club – a camping & sailing weekend at Tawas Bay on Lake Huron
- July 30th – U.P. Island Race (Les Cheneaux YC… details t.b.d.)
- September 2nd & 3rd – Tawas Bay – another camping & sailing weekend at Tawas Bay on Lake Huron
- September 24th – DOUBLE DELIGHT! at Watkins Lake
- October 8th – TO BE DETERMINED
all Sunday races start at 12:30pm [uno], with the camping/racing weekends starting earlier in the day to get extra races in over the weekend.
new this year is the Double Delight, where they will be having 6 races. the schedule starts with a 9:30 Skippers meeting then race #1 would begin at 10:00am with two more races to follow. then a break for lunch. after lunch they would conduct 3 more races… thus creating a 6 race Sunday.
I said this last year (and the year before… and the year before), and didn’t get a chance to sail with this group, but I’m again going to do my best to meet up with them for some sailing races this year.