Posts Tagged 'great lakes'
Tags: blog, blog stats, blogging, boatwear, giveaway, great lakes, my2fish, nautical, pageviews, Sail Swag, sailing, Shoreline Sailboats, stats
I’ve been a little distracted lately, but a month or so ago, the my2fish Sunfish sailing blog passed 400,000 pageviews (all-time). it took a little under 4 years to reach 200,000, then a little over 1 year to get up to 300k, and now a little over 1.5 years later, it has passed the 400k mark.it is interesting (to me at least!), to watch the ebb and flow of the blog visitors. with a mostly summer sport, it definitely slows down during the winter – and then picks up quite a bit as the weather warms up – peaking in that June/July/August time when sailing is a bit more relevant to most people’s lives.
for those who have just found the blog – thanks for visiting, and I hope you stick around a while!
for those who have been following the blog for a long time – thanks for all the views, the comments, and the feedback over these last few years! I’ve had a lot of fun with the blogging, and I hope it’s been an interesting journey.
similar to the 200k giveaway and 300k giveaway, I am having another cool gear giveaway to celebrate the 400,000 pageview milestone! this year, I’m changing the setup a little bit, and this time have 2 different give-aways: one is geared more towards the Sunfish sailor and the other more for those with nautical interests, but maybe you aren’t a Sunfish sailor (why not?… I don’t know!).
so up first is a give-away from a performance sailboat dealer in Western New York, Shoreline Sailboats. Shoreline is a Laser Performance dealer (manufacturer of the Sunfish, Laser, etc), but Shoreline also is a dealer for several other sailboat options, including the new Melges 14, Open Bics, and Zim sailboats (420’s, FJ’s, etc). Shoreline has provided me with a sweet Sunfish 60th anniversary decal that you can apply to your Sunfish! the decal is shown in the upper left of the photo below, and they show where you could place the sticker on the deck of your Sunfish, near the daggerboard slot (or put it where you want it!).
I have the sticker at home, and think it is actually the red version, with colors shown here, but it will have the “Sunfish 60th anniversary” text as well.
the 2nd give-away is a nautical bracelet from the sweet nautical outlet SailSwag. I’ve been following them for quite a while on Instagram (@sailswag), where they post some awesome sailing and nautical photos.
SailSwag is an online supplier of sailing fashion accessories, and makes some really sweet nautical bracelets, with either little shackles:
or with cute little anchors like this one:
their giveaway will be the randomly selected winner’s choice of a bracelet from their website.
so here are the giveaway details, rules, etc.
- to enter the contest, you need to leave a comment on this blog post (you can enter your name as “anonymous”, or whatever you like really) – but I will need an email to contact you if you are chosen as one of the winner!
- in the comment, you MUST indicate which giveaway option you would prefer: the 60th anniversary Sunfish sticker or the SailSwag bracelet.
- no other specific requirement for the comment itself, but I will moderate if need be!
- multiple comments do not equal multiple entries!
- after 2 weeks, I will randomly select two commenters – 1 each for the 2 items of the give-away. I will mail the winner the Sunfish sticker, and I will coordinate with SailSwag to get the bracelet delivered to the other winner.
thanks again for visiting the blog! and let the commenting begin!
full disclosure: both gift items for the give-away are sponsored items, provided by either Shoreline Sailboats or SailSwag. in addition, SailSwag has set me up with their affiliate program – so if you are interested in shopping for any other gear on their website, you can use coupon code MY2FISH and you will receive 10% off of any order [note that I will also get a 10% commission for every purchase using that code].
Tags: blog, great lakes, michigan, midwest, sailing, sunfish, sunfish class, sunfish race, sunfish rigging, sunfish sailing, video
this is an excellent promo video for North Shore Yacht Club in Highland Park, Illinois (a northern suburb of Chicago).
the club has a large fleet of Sunfish sailboats, also races Buccaneers, and has kayaks and stand-up paddleboards for it’s members to use as well.
this video was produced by Steve King, a member of NSYC – he also made this excellent video on “rigging a Sunfish sailboat“.
Tags: Derrick Fries, gdsc, great lakes, michigan, midwest, sail, sailing, sailing club, sunfish, sunfish class, sunfish race, sunfish sailing, tawas bay
the Greater Detroit Sunfish Club (GDSC) has released their 2016 Sunfish race schedule (you can find it with additional information posted at their Yahoo Group). you can also check them out on their Facebook page.
- May 1st – Maceday Lake (a little over a month away!)
- May 15th – Watkins Lake
- June 4th & 5th – Gull Lake Sunfish Open Regatta (details & NOR here)
- June 12th – Watkins Lake – including a Pre-Race Clinic on Sunfish rigging and tuning by Derrick Fries
- June 25th & 26th – Tawas Bay State Park & Tawas Bay Yacht Club – a camping & sailing weekend at Tawas Bay on Lake Huron
- July 31st – U.P. Island Race (details t.b.d.)
- August 5th – 7th – the US Sunfish Masters will be held this weekend at Gull Lake Yacht Club (details & NOR here)
- September 3rd & 4th – Tawas Bay – another camping & sailing weekend at Tawas Bay on Lake Huron
- September 11th – Watkins Lake
- September 25th – Maceday Lake
all Sunday races start at 12:30pm [uno]
I said this last year (and the year before… and the year before), and didn’t get a chance, but I’m again going to do my best to meet up with this group for some races this year. it’s shaping up to be a pretty busy summer already, though!
Tags: ACWS, america's cup, blog, blogging, chicago, great lakes, lake michigan, Navy Pier, sailing, sailing racing, sailing video
the America’s Cup World Series is coming to the Great Lakes: June 10-12, 2016 at Navy Pier in Chicago.
might just have to schedule a trip to see my brother in Chicago for a couple days…
Tags: blogging, gdsc, great lakes, michigan, midwest, sail, sailing, sailing club, sunfish, sunfish class, sunfish race, sunfish sailing, tawas bay
the Greater Detroit Sunfish Club (GDSC) has released their 2015 Sunfish race schedule (you can find it with additional information posted at their Yahoo Group). you can also check them out on their Facebook page.
- May 3rd – Maceday Lake (was this past weekend)
- May 31st – Watkins Lake
- June 14th – T.B.D.
- June 27th & 28th – Tawas Bay State Park & Tawas Bay Yacht Club – a camping & sailing weekend at Tawas Bay on Lake Huron
- September 5th & 6th – Tawas Bay – another camping & sailing weekend at Tawas Bay on Lake Huron (launching from Timber Lane Resort‘s beach)
- September 20th – Watkins Lake
- September 27th – Big Lake
all Sunday races start at 12:30pm [uno]
I said this last year (and the year or 2 before), and didn’t get a chance, but I’m again going to do my best to meet up with this group for some races this year. it’s shaping up to be a pretty busy summer already, though!