a beautiful sailing painting by Winslow Homer (1876)
Posts Tagged 'sailing'
Tags: butterfly, clonefish, dinghy, lateen sail, mystery boat, sailing, scow, sunfish
a few days ago, a friend of the blog sent me a few pictures of a mystery boat that they own, but are not exactly sure what the boat actually is… here are a few details:
- the reader described it as a scow, similar to a Butterfly
- approximately 12-feet long, wood construction
- aluminum mast and spars for a lateen rig
- a (ridiculously!) large rudder and centerboard, also built of aluminum
- looks like it has some mast stays, and the mast would sit on a base fixture (the mast doesn’t go through the deck into a mast step)
- it seems like the mast stays would really limit how you can adjust the rigging points for the lateen sail
I searched the “CloneFish” archives at the Yahoo Sunfish Sailor Group to see if it was listed there – but didn’t see anything quite like this.
so what say you? any of my blog readers know what this mystery boat could be? see a few pictures below:
Tags: ACWS, america's cup, blog, blogging, chicago, great lakes, lake michigan, Navy Pier, sailing, sailing racing, sailing video
the America’s Cup World Series is coming to the Great Lakes: June 10-12, 2016 at Navy Pier in Chicago.
might just have to schedule a trip to see my brother in Chicago for a couple days…
Tags: blog, blogging, George Washington, history, humor, jaws, sailing, solo sailing
Tags: art, blogging, Claude Monet, impressionism, nautical, nautical art, painting, sailing